Sunday, December 25, 2011

English Translation v0.6

EDIT: This patch is now outdated. Please refer to the v1.0 release post.

For anybody who had issues with the game not finding certain image files and generally not showing the right pictures while playing the v0.6 release, please try out v0.7. Barring any mistakes I might have made in localizing it, it should work fine even on English locale now.

(And if you do run into anymore problems with the image files, please post about it. At this point, it's likely something I missed, so if I'm informed of it, I should be able to fix it.)

Mediafire
Megaupload
Depositfiles

This download is a partial translation of Village of Nightmare. Pretty much every is translated at this point except the novelist (Stone), the guard captain (Erdin), the Exorcist and the final corruptions, and a couple miscellaneous scenes such Slayer and Metallica's date, as well as the developer's room. I'd originally thought to include the novelist in this update, but decided not to since I was having a harder time just concentrating on it instead of bouncing between several of the later scenes.

If you've played the v0.3 release and want to continue from your saves, just copy+paste them into the new folder. They should work fine. And on an important (for me) somewhat reiterated side note, if you spot any problems such as grammatical errors, or bits of dialogue that don't flow particularly well, I'd be happy if you could post about them so I could attempt to fix them. The format of the game does not allow me to spell check, so I can only do it manually, which generally is hit or miss.

There are a couple things to note about this translation, and if you're curious or are having problems playing, you might want to take a look.


1) On the matter of installation, there are two things you need to be aware of: The first is that you're going to need to have the RPG Maker XP RTP installed to play this no matter what. (Google it and you should be able to find a download, and any fixes to problems with the dlls involved with it.) The second is that this game isn't fully localized. You might very well need to switch your computer to Japanese locale to play it. I've fixed the image files names getting messed up thanks to someone pointing out how some compression programs screw around with unicode letters, and used 7zip for this upload, but I still couldn't get it work on my computer when it wasn't in Japanese locale even with AppLocale. So, your results may vary.

2) Somewhat related to 1, due to me not being able to find a Japanese copy of RPG Maker XP to fiddle with, I went with the English demo, (and now a full English version) which doesn't like Japanese text that much. Thus, all the untranslated text was reduced to just a bunch of squares when playing. If you want to continue playing with the Japanese text, you can download the original version and move your save files over. They should work fine.

3) On the game itself, it should be noted that the interface is extremely obtuse at times. It'd be a good idea to use a walkthrough, or you're going to face a lot of aimless, boring wandering. I've posted a still incomplete walkthrough (although it goes as far the current translation), and this guy has most stuff right too, albeit with a few spots being kind of off. (You need to talk to Chris to continue Brigitte's corruption when the time comes, and Slayer/Daiya's second scene with Metallica won't pop up until after she's done.) Either can work, however.

4) Also related to gameplay is the squirrel section. If you have problems with the area, check the sign at the beginning and take the irritant. It will remove about 90% of the annoying, more likely to run into ones.

14 comments:

  1. Even with 7zip, the pictures and everything are already in non-unicode format.
    You can either re-localize everything from japanese to english.
    Or format them to unicode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides for a few things, the translation is pretty good ^^ There are a few conversations that are in English, will have some Japanese text, and then continue in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and thank you for your translation. It's so rare to see Japanese games translated, so many thanks.
    That being said; it seems that there is several bugs when I run my game. The graphics are all messed up, often giving me wrong pictures given the action that is described. For example, I don't see Souffle (the inn manager) when I talk to her, but a succubus with red latex clothes, sucking her finger. And that kind of error happens 99% of the time for all the other events !
    Moreover, when I talk to the guard at the south at the town or to the singer in the bar at night, the game has an error message that says something like "Files graphics/ picture "japanese writing" " could not be find... and then the game crash.

    Could you tell me if the game is like this for the moment, or if there is something wrong with my installation, please ?

    Many thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say that I installed and played the game with japanese settings on windows XP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possibly an XP problem.
      You're not the only person running Windows XP with this problem.
      I think Vista users are having trouble as well.
      Do you possibly have a Windows 7 computer? That might possibly help.

      Delete
  5. @Takabreaka -

    Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by any that.

    @Anonymous -

    Glad you like it. If you don't mind, if you remember the places those bits of untranslated Japanese text were, could you tell me? Unless they're in areas I haven't touched much yet (Novelist and guard captain corruption, etc.), it means I accidentally skipped over a line, and it'd be good to fix it.

    @Youpla -

    Sadly, I'm not sure how to fix this at this point. I initially thought it was because the decompression messed up the file names if you weren't in Japanese locale, but given how the 7zip decompression failed to fix the issue, apparently not. All I can say is that this issue shouldn't pop up once I get the game completely localized, but that's still a while off, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, thanks for your answer, I will wait then.

    But please, consider it as a major bug and don't take it lightly because, in my opinion, even if your translation is perdfect, it ruins completely the game because we have graphics that are not in harmony with what we're reading (and some crashing bugs, also).

    I'll keep surveying this blog. Thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I start the game a box pops up saying file/graphics/pictures *two japanese kanji* 02 could not be found and then it crashes, is there anyway around it?

    I have the locale swapped and it still happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im also getting the two japanese kanji issue, haven't been able to get around it - OS: Win7 64bit

      Delete
    2. I got around it by downloading the japanese version and copying graphics from it.
      Both versions seem to have problems with extracring the pictures from .Zip file.

      Delete
    3. It's possible that, when you unzipped in "US" format, everything was named/labeled improperly.
      To prevent that, I recommend unzipping in japanese locale first.

      Delete
  8. Hey, For some reason my CG is random, when i start to the game i dont start with male character it shows black haired grey eyed Female with white tube top and skirt and with a sword, and when i meet queen it shows random CG how do i fix this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey again, I'm the guy from above^ I played more ignoring the random-cg issue, then I got picture error at the INN while talking to the pink haired girl..

      Delete
    2. It's possible that, when you unzipped in "US" format, everything was named/labeled improperly.
      To prevent that, I recommend unzipping in japanese locale first.

      Delete