Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Progress [07/18/12]

Funny thing I ran across a while ago is a link to this blog on one of the creators' twitter. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising given how I link to his blog, but I found it rather amusing.

Anyway. More progress. And I've recently finished Mea's after stories/profile, which confirmed something that I suspected since the beginning, but ignored. The fact being that Mea's name is actually 'Mare', not 'Mea'. Her name is メア in Japanese, which I just transcribed literally since I thought Mare sounded a bit silly. Still, the author confirmed it, telling the reader that the name came from Nightmare (I thought it was just referring to the mythical creature since it had connections to succubi).

The reason I bring this up is I'm now wondering if I should go back and change her name throughout the game. It'd be a pain in the ass, honestly, and I don't even really like the name, but it doesn't particularly feel right ignoring the fact that it's her name given the creator confirmed it.

What do you guys think? (I've now added a poll on this.)

Bear in mind this isn't something I'd bother with until I'd either have finished up the translation or gave up on August 11th. It's tedious work, and wouldn't really have any impact on my current translation efforts. The main thing is whether people care at all, and the possibility that I might miss some 'Mea-to-Mare' replacements, which would leave the odd Mea in for more dreaded quality control.

Regardless of that... the progress report is below the cut.


Mea (That poor sod who started this whole mess): Afterstories complete.
Souffle (Innkeeper): Afterstory complete.
Mint (Bartender): Nothing
Metallica (Blacksmith): Nothing
SlayerDaiya (Swordsman): Nothing
Kukuru (Peddler BrotherLittle sister): Nothing
Kukuri (Peddler Sister): Nothing
Dagger (Dancer): Afterstory complete.
Pastel (Blond bar patron): Nothing
BartonBetty, ClaudeClaudia and the Cow (Villagers B&C+The cow): Afterstories complete.
Tsubame (Swordswoman Adventurer): Afterstory complete.
Mayfair (Magician Adventurer): Afterstory complete.
Theresia (Sister A): Nothing
Daisy (Pink-haired bar patron): Nothing
ArudAru (Southern guard): Afterstory complete.
StoneStory (Novelist): Nothing
RandyRan and Sepia (Shopkeepers): 1/2 complete
JohnJodie, DavidDiane, Kokomo, and Sherry (4 Children): Afterstory complete.
Brigitte (Sister B): Nothing
MoscowMural (Priest): Nothing
ErdinRudi (Guard captain): Nothing
Dragon (That monster that kicked your ass but you totally get revenge on): Nothing
MOB-ko (That one random girl at the end who didn't even get a name): Nothing
Exorcist WhiteNeige (That poor sod who you totally beat in quiz, tag, and R-P-S games, like a boss): Nothing
Amuni (Your lady and master whom you enjoy groveling under): 1/2 complete

6 comments:

  1. On the start of game , give a warning about the name and let it be , no? I think does matter only little,but let the poll decide

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mea is the better choice honestly. Mare doesn't quite sound right as the type of feminized names the Succubi are given or give themselves honestly.

    Plus I have seen other pieces of Japanese Media use "Mea" in a Nightmare pun. So I kinda just assumed that was the case here and rolled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say, keep it at Mea, but explain the origin somewhere if possible. Like, saying, "It's short for Mare, from nightmare, tee hee!" or something. Either way Mea sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that there is no need to change it now. It's not even wrong, it's possible to romanize メア as Mea, it's just a bit inaccurate with her theme naming. And Mea sounds better, too. As you said, "Mare" sounds silly.

    Btw, I'm really looking foward to play the afterstories. Although I think I've never commented, I'm following the translation since the beginning, and I hope you manage to finish it until your self-imposed deadline.
    However, even if you does not end in time, just resuming the project and trying to is an admirable effort. Most fan translators wouldn't bother to do this, so thank you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like "Mea" better than "Mare". Mare just sounds like she's some kind of female horse. Which, I guess makes sense as a theme but just sounds un-sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guy who suggested that you mention the translation note at the start of the game has it right, I think.

    "Oh hey, this could be translated as Mare, and that is in fact the official translation, but I prefer the more Feminine sounding Mea, and that is one possible romanisation of the word anyway."

    Or something like that.

    Regardless, if I have to choose, I go with Mea.

    It fits with the other succubus names better.

    ReplyDelete